Search the whole station Blog Uncategorized

Factors affecting feed pellet yield

Blog 1300

TICO pellet mills are versatile machines that can be used to produce feed pellets. Feed pellets can be made from various raw materials such as grains, cereals, beans, corns, whey powder, oil, and additives. The output of feed pellets can vary based on the specific properties of the raw materials used. Factors such as oil content, crude fiber content, moisture content, and starch content can all influence the final output of feed pellets.

Animal food

Adding oil

It is recommended to add a small amount of oil (0.5%~1%) to the raw materials in the pelletizing process. This oil serves to reduce the wear and tear on the pellet mill parts and also facilitates the smooth passage of raw materials through the die holes, thereby increasing the pellet output.

However, if a higher dose of oil is desired, it is advisable to add 30% of the total oil amount during the mixing process and the remaining 70% during the pelletizing process. Adding more than 2% oil to the raw materials can result in a loose and difficult-to-form mixture. By following the suggested oil addition method, the pellet formation can be optimized while still taking advantage of the benefits provided by the oil.

Crude fibers in the raw materials

When the crude fiber content in the raw materials falls within the range of 3% to 5%, it can positively contribute to the bonding of the raw materials. This, in turn, increases the forming rate of the pellets and reduces the rate of pellet breakage.

However, if the crude fiber content exceeds 10%, its low adhesive force can have negative effects. It may lead to a decrease in the hardness and forming rate of the pellets. Additionally, a high crude fiber content can intensify the mechanical wear of the pellet machine.

Therefore, it is important to maintain an optimal crude fiber content in the raw materials to achieve the desired pellet quality and minimize equipment wear.

Moisture content

A high moisture content in the raw materials can have several negative effects on the pelletizing process. Firstly, it can impact the temperature rise during pelletizing, leading to lower pellet output and reduced pellet quality. Additionally, the excess moisture can cause the raw materials to slip between the roller and flat die, and block the holes on the flat die.

To address this issue, it is recommended to ensure that the moisture content of the raw materials is less than 13%. If the moisture content exceeds this threshold, it is advisable to reduce the amount of steam added during the pelletizing process. This adjustment can help control the moisture level and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the pelletizing process.

Protein content

Raw materials with a high protein content have better plasticity, higher viscosity, and increased output after heating. However, if the raw materials contain high levels of non-protein nitrogen, it can result in lower feed pellet production.

Starch content

Grains are rich in starch, which makes them easy to form pellets at high temperatures and with high water content, resulting in high pellet output. To achieve optimal pellet formation, it is important to temper the grains with a moisture content between 16% and 18%, and at a temperature above 80℃. If these conditions are not met, the starch gelatinization degree will be poor, resulting in easily broken or unformed wood pellets.

It is not advisable to choose dried grains because the pellet production will be low. This is because pre-cured or dried grains have reduced moisture, which hinders proper pellet formation.

Heat-sensitive feed

Heat-sensitive feeds such as lactose and whey powder have the advantage of increased viscosity and improved production when heated. However, it is important to note that when the temperature exceeds 60℃, these feeds have a tendency to caramelize and cause blockages in the die holes, leading to a decline in production. To mitigate this issue, it is recommended to temper these feeds with warm water to maintain a lower and more controlled temperature during the pelletization process.

Inorganic feed

Inorganic feeds generally have low adhesion and poor pelletizing performance. Therefore, if the raw materials contain a high amount of inorganic content, it is necessary to add binders to improve the pelletizing effectiveness and increase output.

Choosing a suitable type of pellet mill is crucial, and it is important not to solely focus on high production. Starting with small-scale production allows for gaining experience and achieving stable profits before expanding the production scale and investing in additional equipment.

TICO is a reputable manufacturer and supplier of feed pellet equipment. Our team of professional technicians can provide expert recommendations on selecting the right machines based on your specific needs.

The prev: The next:
Expand more!